Sport

Player protests will stop once French Open begins

Player protests will stop once French Open begins

The world's leading players are expected to fulfil all their usual media commitments when the French Open begins at Roland Garros on Sunday.

Many of the top 10 players limited their appearance to 15 minutes during Friday's pre-tournament media day.

The 15-minute limit was meant to symbolise the 15% of revenue which - on average - the Grand Slams allocate to prize money.

Player representatives have told BBC Sport they never intended a tournament-long protest, and were encouraged by a promise of future co-operation at Friday's meeting with the French Tennis Federation (FFT).

Earlier in the week, the FFT said in a statement that it "regretted" the players' decision and was "ready to engage in direct and constructive dialogue on governance issues".

Players are asking for a higher share of Grand Slam revenue to be dedicated to prize money - as well as contributions to their benefit pot and a wider say in issues such as scheduling.

Player representatives have meetings planned with executives from both the All England Club (AELTC) and the US Tennis Association in the second week of the French Open.

The next pivotal moment of the dispute will be when the AELTC announces the prize money for this year's Wimbledon on 11 June.

Players are asking each Grand Slam to devote 16% of their revenue to prize money this year. After taking last year's revenue of ÂŁ427m, and adjusting for inflation, that demand would equate to over ÂŁ70m at Wimbledon - or a 34% rise on the ÂŁ53.5m prize money offered in 2025.

Players are also asking each Slam to make a $4m (ÂŁ2.98m) contribution to their benefit pool this year, and further action is a possibility when Wimbledon begins on 28 June.

Related topics

More on this story

Live scores, results and order of play

Get tennis news sent straight to your phone

Vielleicht verpasst